Your landlord has received an order  to comply, order to vacate, order to abate, or other order that necessitates the vacating of the unit from a governmental agency such as the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD), the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS), the Los Angeles County Health Department, or the Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD).  The landlord has to return the unit to its “original” permitted use or obtain the necessary permits to continue the current use of the unit.

What to Expect

You will receive a Letter of Introduction from the Los Angeles Housing Department (LAHD) advising you that a Declaration of Intent to Evict has been filed by your landlord. It will indicate the following: Type of eviction; Case Number – for example LD050000; Assigned Analyst name and contact information; Contact Information to City’s Relocation Consultant.

Your case will be referred to the City’s Relocation Consultant.  They will contact you to conduct an over-the-phone interview and provide you with transportation and support during your relocation.

The purpose of the interview is to determine the following:

  • Household status (Eligible or Qualified).

  • The amount of relocation fees you may be entitled to.

  • Replacement unit listings tailored to your needs and offer you transportation services.

Notice of Eviction

You are entitled to a written notice to terminate your tenancy in compliance with State Law.  You may be entitled to a 60-Day Notice of Eviction if you have occupied your rental unit for a year or more or a 30-Day Notice of Eviction if you have occupied your rental unit for less than a year, in accordance with State Law.

Relocation Assistance

You may be entitled to relocation assistance fees.  The relocation assistance determinations are mailed to the landlord and tenant and include the amount of relocation fees for each unit.

If you disagree with the relocation assistance determination, you have the right to appeal the determination within 15 days of the issuance of the relocation determination.

If you are entitled to relocation assistance, the property owner should provide you with your relocation assistance payment within 15 days of service of the eviction notice. This payment can be made either directly to you or through an escrow account.

If you have any questions on this process, please contact your assigned analyst indicated in the LAHD letter.

Appealing the relocation assistance determination

All parties have a right to appeal the Tenant Relocation Determination within 15 calendar days from the date of their determination.  Appeals must be received by LAHD with the completed Appeal Form and the filing fee made payable to “City of Los Angeles.”

There is a low income exemption waiver for the appeal fee. To qualify for an exemption from the appeal filing fee, the applicant’s annual household earnings must be no more than 50% of the median income in the Los Angeles area.  If you do not qualify for an exemption, you must submit the filing fee before an appeal can be scheduled.

(Visited 2,041 times, 1 visits today)

Comments are closed.